We are pleased to announce two exciting new features for your website powered by Orthodox Web Solutions' Site Manager: Progressive Web Apps + Web Push Notifications.
Progressive Web App
- Your website can now be installed as a standalone app on mobile, tablet, and desktop devices.
- The app can be customized by selecting app specific home and offline pages, setting device orientation, and choosing theme/splash colors and application icons.
- Viewed pages are cached for speedy rendering and access even when an internet connection is not present.
- Progressive web apps don't need to be published in Google Play, Windows Phone Apps or Apple's App Store but can be installed right from your website.
- All updates or changes to your content will be automatically downloaded when users relaunch the app.
- The side menu includes a new group for app configuration, notifications, and devices.
Web Push Notifications
- Web push notifications are messages that come from a website. You can receive them on your desktop or mobile devices even when the website is not open in your browser. These are alert style messages that slide in at the top or bottom right hand corner of a desktop screen, depending on the operating system, or appear on a mobile device in a manner nearly identical to push notifications delivered from native apps.
- Notifications can be sent manually and individually or automatically together with news items, and they can be sent either immediately, after a specified delay, or at a scheduled time.
- Web push notifications don't need a user's email or other contact details, and users can sign-up and manage their subscription themselves right from your website.
- All major browsers support Web Push including Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Samsung Internet Browser, Safari on MacOS, and Yandex Browser. Note: iOS does not yet support Web Push.
Friday, July 14, 2017